Looking for some fun, nature-based activities for home? Our environmental education staff have put together some resources for activities you can do at home, in your backyard, or during a walk in your neighbourhood.
- Bugs Scavenger Hunt – learn more about the insects you can find around you
- Nature Alphabet Scavenger Hunt – can you find items in nature from A to Z?
- Weather Wise – learn how weather conditions affect the things around you
- Soil Study – learn more about the soil in your area
- Food Chain Challenge – complete the food chain for each habitat!
- Spring Phenology – the study of changes in plants and animals as they respond to weather, climate, and the seasons. What can you observe around you?
- Rock Exercises – want to become a “Rock hound”? Learn about the rocks in your area.
- Weird Creature Features – are these weird facts true or false?
- Eco-Footprint – measure your footprint of personal impact on the planet
- Signs of Spring Scavenger Hunt – find these signs of spring outside around you
- Nature Walk Scavenger Hunt – explore the outdoors and see if you can find the items on the sheet
Colouring & Activity Sheets
- Birds – The Hamilton area is home to many exciting bird species!
- Did You Know? – some interesting nature facts
- Dragonflies and Damselflies
- Draw a self-portrait of yourself in nature and the creatures you meet
- Exploring Journal – take some time to be with nature
- Falling Tree Leaves – how many leaves can you identify?
- Fish Species – what do you know about fish?
- Frogs – from eggs to tadpoles to frog!
- Healthy Habitats – learn more about natural habitats in Hamilton
- Helping the Environment – what can you do at home?
- Importance of Plants – Plants have many uses which make them important!
- Leaf Discoveries – what type of leaves can you see around you?
- Match the Tracks – can you identify the footprints?
- Native Plants Word Search
- Red Fox Maze – help the Red Fox get back to his forest home!
- Species at Risk Connect the Dots – learn more about Jeffy the Jefferson Salamander
- Spot the Difference – conservation area do’s and don’ts
- Spring at Valens Lake colouring page
- Things that Creep, Crawl, Hop & Fly
- Turkey Vulture colouring page
- Water Cycle – learn how water moves through Earth’s land, waterways, and atmosphere
- Word Scramble – Unscramble the words to find some of the snakes and turtles that are native to the Hamilton area