Hamilton Conservation Authority has a one-year contract opportunity for a
The Hamilton Conservation Authority (HCA) is a watershed-based organization established under the provisions of the Conservation Authorities Act. Since 1958 the HCA has dedicated itself to the management and conservation of watershed lands and water resources for the benefit of people, communities and the environment. HCA undertakes programs on a watershed basis to manage water resources, protect people and property from natural hazards, monitor and conserve the natural environment, and provide recreational and educational opportunities.
Reporting to the Manager, Watershed Planning, Stewardship & Ecological Services, the Planner supports the achievement of HCA’s strategic goals and objectives related to water resources and natural hazard management, natural heritage conservation, and sustainable land use planning and development.
Other duties include;
- Respond to solicitor and property inquiries, and to inquiries from the general public regarding HCA’s planning and regulations programs
- Undertake the review and response to development permit applications circulated by the Niagara Escarpment Commission
- Undertake the review and response to development applications under the Planning Act, such as site plans, consents and minor variances
- Undertake the review and response to projects circulated under the Environmental Assessment Act
- Assist with the review of applications submitted under HCA’s Regulation of Development, Interference with Wetlands, and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses (Ontario Regulation 161/06)
- Assist with background research, review, development and updating of policy to support HCA’s environmental and regulatory policy framework
- Assist with file administration and planning database management
- Attend meetings and conduct site inspections in support of carrying out duties
- Other planning-related duties as may be assigned
- A university degree or college diploma in natural resources management, planning, geography or related field, preferably with 1 to 2 years of related work experience
- Knowledge of land use planning and natural resource management legislation, regulations and policies including the Conservation Authorities Act, Planning Act, Provincial Policy Statement and Provincial Plans, Environmental Assessment Act, and Niagara Escarpment Planning and Development Act
- Membership or working toward membership in Ontario Professional Planners Institute
- Understanding of principles and approaches related to land use planning, environmental impact assessment, natural resources management, ecology, hydrology, stormwater management and erosion and sediment control
- Possess a valid Ontario driver’s license (G license minimum)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software suite including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
And even better if you have;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Positive team player capable of self-directed, independent work
- Experience working with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
The Planner will work in-person at the Hamilton Conservation Authority’s main office at 838 Mineral Springs Road, Ancaster, Ontario. HCA offers alternative work arrangements as outlined in our Employee Handbook.
Working hours will be 8:30a.m. – 4:30p.m., totaling 37.5 hours per week, Monday through Friday, inclusive.
The successful candidate must meet the Province of Ontario’s definition of COVID-19 “fully vaccinated” or provide proof of a Human Rights Code exemption prior to commencement of their employment in accordance with HCA’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Work Term and Rate of Pay
This is a contract position with an anticipated starting date of May 1, 2023 and ending April 30, 2024. The rate of pay is $33.00 per hour.
As per the Employment Standards Act, you will be paid for Statutory Holidays. Contract employees are entitled to ‘contract’ benefits as defined in HCA’s personnel policy.
Vacation Pay will be paid out on each pay as per the Employment Standards Act.
Interested applicants are to send their cover letter and resume in PDF or MS Word format via email by Friday, March 31, 2023 at 4:00 pm to: email@example.com (Please include job title in email subject line)
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.