The Hamilton Conservation Authority (HCA) currently has a Full-time opportunity for the following position:
Heavy Equipment Operator/AZ Driver
The position assists with a wide range of restoration and construction projects within all HCA owned Conservation Areas, including infrastructure upgrades to buildings, fences, roads, parking lots, trails, pedestrian bridges, and utility services. This position plays an important role within the Capital Projects & Strategic Services division and reports directly to the Construction Foreman, while providing support for the Construction Projects Manager. This position requires demonstrated skills from previous in-field experience.
Job Functions & Tasks:
- Operation of Heavy Equipment such as bulldozers, backhoes, excavators, skid-steers, rollers, mini-excavators etc.
- Operation of heavy trucks and floats, including light dump trucks (standard or automatic transmission) within our Authority for the purpose of hauling aggregate, topsoil, fill, or garbage debris to and from our parks or other HCA owned properties.
- May include operating the HCA sewage truck in absence of its regular driver
- Operation of small construction equipment such as rollers, trench compactors, tractors, and skid steers.
- Assist with construction/landscape tasks undertaken such as trail development, laying sod, utility installation (sewer, water, hydro), concrete work, bridges and boardwalks, fencing, tree planting and removal.
- Operation of various types of power tools and equipment relating specifically to the construction trade and driving various types of HCA trucks, equipment and rental equipment.
- Minor plumbing and fitting of electrical conduits for utility service
- Have the ability to lift 50+ lbs. and walk for extended periods of time.
- Must enjoy working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Carry out any other duties and tasks as assigned to support the team effort at HCA.
Qualifications & Experience Requirements:
- AZ driver’s license (DZ may be acceptable under certain conditions) with a clean abstract and knowledge of safe working practices.
- Must be able to operate A and D Class Trucks using standard transmissions.
- Applicants should possess 5+ years of operator experience (Heavy Equipment Certification an asset) in a construction/landscape setting as well as knowledge of common construction/landscape practices.
- Welding experience using stick/ARC for repairs or fabrication in the field is a definite asset.
- High school diploma as a minimum (post-secondary a definite asset).
- Applicants must demonstrate good written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be available to work on evenings, weekends and holidays as required during our busy season throughout the parks
- Other certifications such as; Fall Arrest, First Aid, and Man-lift, Confined Space would be an asset.
The position reports to the Millgrove Works Yard of the Hamilton Conservation Authority, located at 594 5th Concession West, Millgrove, Ontario. However, the work location may change to any of HCA’s conservation areas through the year depending on business needs to assist on either a short- or longer-term basis or at special events. Hours of work generally fall between 7 am – 4:30 pm, with a half-hour unpaid lunch based on a 40-hour workweek, Monday through Friday. Work outside of these hours may be required on occasion
This is a full-time position within the H5 wage grid, starting at $26.79 progressing to $33.49 per hour. COLA and merit increases will be considered on an annual basis.
HCA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision care, health care spending account, life and disability insurance after the 3-month probation period and a pension plan after one year of service.
Interested applicants should email resume and covering letter by 4:00 pm Friday, April 23, 2021, to the attention of the Director of Human Resources and Wellness
Email: email@example.com (please quote “Heavy Equipment Operator/AZ Driver” in the subject line and send in MS Word or PDF format)
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that in-person interviews will be arranged for this position once the current Provincial COVID State of Emergency, stay at home measures have been lifted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources of any disability required accommodations in advance.