The Hamilton Conservation Authority currently has the following casual employment opportunity:
Security: Dundas Valley Conservation Area
HCA is currently seeking Casual/Seasonal Security and Maintenance staff for Dundas Valley to work June through November, up to 24 hours per week including weekends and public holidays.
The Security staff person will work evening shifts. Security are responsible for ensuring that Conservation Area visitors can have peaceful and enjoyable visit and ensures that park property and resources are protected, with a focus on providing information and educating visitors. Position will also engage in general park maintenance duties.
Security staff travel between Conservation Areas managed by Dundas Valley, Christie Lake, Spencer Gorge and Hamilton Mountain. A number of important facilities are found in the above Conservation Areas which require proper guardianship, day and night. The areas are heavily used by the public during the day and are closed to the public at night.
The Security will carry out duties assigned by the Park Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent, such as but not restricted to:
- Patrol and observe the above Conservation Areas during the evening hours. Check and secure/lock where needed conservation area buildings, equipment and parking lots.
- Provide accurate information and assistance to park visitors in a courteous and hospitable manner.
- Respond tactfully to complaints and requests for assistance from the public.
- Explain and promote conservation area rules and regulations (e.g. Dogs must be leased).
- Issue verbal warnings and document violations and significant occurrences. Note that Security personnel are not designated under the Provincial Offences Actand therefore have no authority to issue Offence Notices or to conduct evictions.
- Engage in general park maintenance duties (garbage picking, washroom cleaning, etc.)
- Refer occurrences or violations of a serious or criminal nature to the Regional Police.
- Check and secure buildings and facilities when required.
- Provide First Aid care to park visitors in distress and render assistance in emergency situations, including traffic, crowd control, and emergency maintenance.
- Assist the Park Superintendent, or Assistant Superintendent as required.
- Report all accidents and unsafe situations.
- Courier service to various parks in the HCA watershed.
- Any other duties as assigned to assist the team effort.
- A secondary school graduate with post-secondary education in a Law and Security program, Park Management program or previous experience in a similar or related field.
- Applicants must possess or be in active process of obtaining their private security license as mandated by the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.
- A valid class G2 or G driver's license is necessary.
- A valid First Aid certificate is an asset.
- Previous experience dealing with the public
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing, demonstrating good interpersonal skills when speaking to the public or other park staff.
- Work weekends including holidays, in various weather conditions, and various terrain.
- Meet and inform the public of pertinent information regarding the Conservation Authority, including policy, regulations, activities, and of the conservation area layout and facilities.
JOB CLASSIFICATION & WORK TERM:
CASUAL HOURLY with a start rate of $13.50 depending on experience. Position is based out of the Dundas Valley Workshop in Ancaster. This position will be scheduled up to 24 hours per week and weekend shifts (including holiday weekends) will be required and regularly scheduled. The Security will work 2/3 days per week in a security capacity. Working hours are from 4:00pm -12:00am. Position anticipated to start in June 2017 and run till November 2017, and note that working hours can be weather dependent.
Please send your resume and application by 4pm Friday, June 30th, 2017 to:
Attn: Carissa Bishop, Superintendent
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.