The Hamilton Conservation Authority currently has a 50 Week Casual opportunity for a
Posted January 22, 2020
The position assists with a wide range of restoration and construction projects within all Hamilton Conservation Authority (HCA) owned Conservation Areas, including infrastructure upgrades to: buildings, fences, roads, parking lots, trails, pedestrian bridges, and utility services. This position plays an important role within the Capital Projects & Strategic Services division and reports directly to the Construction Foreman, while providing support for the Construction Projects Manager. This position requires demonstrated skills from previous in field experience.
Job Functions & Tasks
- Assist with construction/landscape tasks undertaken such as trail development, laying sod, utilities installation (sewer, water, hydro), concrete work, bridges and boardwalks, fencing, tree planting and removal.
- Operation of various types of power tools and equipment relating specifically to the construction trade and driving various types of HCA trucks, equipment and rental equipment.
- Minor plumbing and fitting of electrical conduits for utility service.
- Have the ability to lift 50+ lbs. and walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Carry out any other duties and tasks as assigned to support the team effort at HCA.
Qualifications & Experience Requirements
- High School Diploma as a minimum (post-secondary a definite asset).
- Applicants must demonstrate good written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends and holidays as required during our busy season throughout the parks.
- Other certifications such as; Fall Arrest, First Aid, and Man-lift would be an asset.
- Welding experience using ARC/stick for fabrication in the field is a definite asset.
- Possess a valid Ontario class ‘G’ driver’s license in good clean standing order.
Construction Labourer reports to the HCA Millgrove Works Yard, located at 594 5th Concession West, Millgrove, Ont. Hours of work generally fall between 7am – 4:30 pm, with a half-hour unpaid lunch based on a 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday. Work outside of these hours or location may be required depending on business needs to assist on either a short or longer term basis or at special events. Depending on approved projects, funding and scope of work in any given year this position may be considered for annual renewal as to support the team effort.
This is a casual/contract position with an hourly rate starting at $17.00(2020 Rate) per hour or more based on experience. Progression through the pay range band where this position has been graded will be based on merit and is considered on an annual basis.
Interested applicants should email resume and covering letter by 5pm on Wednesday, February 5th, 2020 to:
Hamilton Conservation Authority
Attention: Director of Human Resources and Wellness
(Please quote “Construction Labourer” in subject line and send in MS Word or PDF format)
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.