Conservation Area Worker
The Hamilton Conservation Authority (HCA) is currently seeking three (3) casual 50-week contract Conservation Area Worker positions.
The Conservation Area Worker is a general labourer within the conservation area at the Hamilton Conservation Authority. The position performs various grounds, equipment and facility maintenance duties and is responsible for the upkeep of Conservation Area and facility appearance and providing information to the public and visitors.
- Perform various grounds maintenance duties including grass cutting and trimming, garden care, litter control, camp site repair/maintenance, trail maintenance housekeeping, washroom cleaning and general maintenance of the area
- Safely operate vehicles and equipment as required by law and HCA policy
- Light construction duties such as assembling picnic tables or fences, maintaining bridges etc.
- Respond to public inquiries in the field regarding, facility layout, activities and conservation area rules and regulations
- Comply with the HCA personnel policy, safety and emergency procedures, reporting all accidents and unsafe situations
- Keep tools and equipment properly cleaned, serviced, stored and in safe working order
Successful candidates will be assigned to work at HCA events and other Conservation Areas as required and specifically:
- Millgrove winter works program
- HCA main office snow removal
- Long Weekend support – Conservation Areas
- Fifty Point – Boat Lift - spring and fall
- Christie Antique and Vintage Show – spring and fall
- Spencer Gorge – October Fall Colors
- Westfield Heritage Village – Maple Syrup, Ice Cream Carnival, Halloween, Christmas
- Confederation Beach Park – Road to Hope Marathon
- Other tasks as assigned
- Minimum education of Secondary School diploma
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, coworkers, and the general public
- Be creative, flexible and capable of solving problems
- Demonstrate initiative, efficiency, and reliability towards all jobs assigned
- Knowledge of the HCA and the HCA owned and managed properties is a definite asset
- Previous maintenance equipment operation experiences preferred
- Must have a valid class G driver’s license
- Good computer skills
- Good manual dexterity and ability to work in all types of weather
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Able to communicate effectively, including around noisy operations equipment
- Able to efficiently use, operate and maintain tools and diagnostic equipment
- Able to organize, clean and maintain a safe work area
One position is based out of Valens Lake, another at Christie Lake and another at Dundas Valley. You will be assigned to work at other HCA owned/managed areas for special events and assignments as directed by your Superintendent. Work hours are normally 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday with a half-hour unpaid lunch, 40 hours per week. Overtime and an expectation to work weekends, evenings, and holidays is required.
Income Level & Benefits
This is a casual/contract position with an hourly rate starting at $15 per hour or more based on experience. Progression through the pay range band where this position has been graded will be based on merit and is considered on an annual basis.
Interested applicants are to send their cover letter and resume in PDF or MS Word format via email to Nancy Watts, Director, Human Resources & Wellness, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm on Friday, December 6, 2019, please include job title (Conservation Area Worker) in email subject line and the area (Valens, Christie Lake or Dundas Valley) you prefer to work at.
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.