The Hamilton Conservation Authority currently has a 12-month Contract opportunity for a
DZ Septic Truck Driver
This position’s main duty includes the operation of our septic waste haulage truck for our HCA owned and operated facilities. The position also assists with a wide range of restoration and construction projects within all HCA owned Conservation Areas, including infrastructure upgrades to: buildings, fences, roads, parking lots, trails, pedestrian bridges, and utility services. This position plays an important role within the Capital Projects & Strategic Services division and reports directly to the Construction Foreman, while providing support for the Construction Projects Manager. This position requires demonstrated skills from previous in field experience.
Other duties include:
- Primary Operator of the Septic Waste Truck
- Occasional operation of other heavy dump trucks (standard or automatic transmission) within our Authority for the purpose of hauling aggregate, topsoil, fill, or garbage debris to and from our parks or other HCA owned properties when required.
- Assist with construction/landscape tasks undertaken such as trail development, laying sod, utilities installation (sewer, water, hydro), concrete work, bridges and boardwalks, fencing, tree planting and removal.
- Operation of various types of power tools and equipment relating specifically to the construction trade and driving various types of HCA trucks, equipment and rental equipment.
- Minor plumbing and fitting of electrical conduits for utility service
- Have the ability to lift 50+ lbs. and walk for extended periods of time.
- Must enjoy working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Carry out any other duties and tasks as assigned to support the team effort at HCA.
Education and experience you will need to have:
- High school diploma as a minimum (post-secondary a definite asset).
- DZ driver’s license with clean abstract and knowledge of safe working practices as related to the industry.
- Must be able to operate D Class Trucks using standard transmissions.
- Applicants must demonstrate good written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be available to work on evenings, weekends and holidays as required during our busy season throughout the parks
And even better if you have:
- Post-Secondary diploma Other certifications such as; Fall Arrest, First Aid, and Man-lift, Confined Space would be an asset.
- AZ driver’s license with clean abstract and knowledge of safe working practices as related to the industry.
Position works out of the Millgrove Works Yard of the Hamilton Conservation Authority, located at 594 5th Concession West, Millgrove, Ont. Hours of work generally fall between 8am – 4:30 pm, with a half-hour unpaid lunch based on a 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday. Work outside of these hours may be required on occasion. This contract will run to Dec 24, 2023 and would be up for renewal in the following year.
Sick days, personal needs days and enrolment in Medical and Dental Benefits is available after 3-month probation.
This is a 12-month contract position an hourly rate starting at $24.72 per hour or more based on experience. Progression through the pay range band where this position has been graded will be based on contract renewal on an annual basis.
Interested applicants should email resume and covering letter to:
Hamilton Conservation Authority
Attention: Director of Human Resources and Wellness
(Please quote “DZ Septic Truck Driver” in subject line and send in MS Word or PDF format)
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.