Hamilton Conservation Authority has a one-year contract opportunity for a
The Hamilton Conservation Authority (HCA) is a watershed-based organization established under the provisions of the Conservation Authorities Act. Since 1958 the HCA has dedicated itself to the management and conservation of watershed lands and water resources for the benefit of people, communities and the environment. HCA undertakes programs on a watershed basis to manage water resources, protect people and property from natural hazards, monitor and conserve the natural environment, and provide recreational and educational opportunities.
Reporting to the Aquatic Ecologist and the Terrestrial Ecologist, the Assistant Ecologist is responsible for assisting with implementation of the Hamilton Conservation Authority’s (HCA) Aquatic and Terrestrial Resource Monitoring Programs, including field data collection, data analysis, database management and report writing. The Assistant Ecologist also supports invasive species management and restoration project work.
Other duties include;
- Help to plan and carry out field and lab work in support of the Aquatic and Terrestrial Resource Monitoring Programs, including fisheries and benthic invertebrate assessments, and botanical, forest regeneration, breeding bird and frog call surveys
- Complete data entry and review data/records for completeness and accuracy
- Support assessment of monitoring program data and the preparation of reports and recommendations regarding monitoring program results
- Support maintenance of ecological databases and GIS layers
- Assist with field inventories, data entry and report writing in support of Conservation Area Master Plans
- Work with HCA staff from other departments and divisions in implementing restoration projects
- Support implementation and reporting for the HCA’s Managed Forest Plan (MFP) and Conservation Land Tax Incentive Program (CLTIP)
- Assist with the implementation of HCA’s Invasive Species Strategy
- Attend meetings in support of carrying out duties, and represent HCA on various external committees and initiatives when required
- Respond to public enquiries regarding ecological matters
- Maintain inventory and upkeep of field equipment
- Other duties as required or assigned
Education and experience you will need to have;
- A university degree or college diploma in ecology, biology or related environmental sciences, with a minimum equivalent of two (2) years experience implementing ecological monitoring programs and/or working on ecological restoration projects
- Working knowledge of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems (especially those in southern Ontario), including methodologies and protocols for the sampling, classification, evaluation, and monitoring of ecosystems
- Good flora and fauna identification experience, with training or certification in Ecological Land Classification, Ontario Wetland Evaluation System, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Network (EMAN), Marsh Monitoring Program, and/or Forest Bird Monitoring Program preferred
- Good fish and benthic invertebrate identification experience, with training or certification in electrofishing and/or Ontario Benthos Biomonitoring Network preferred
- Possess a valid Ontario driver’s license (G license minimum)
And even better if you have;
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Positive team player capable of self-directed, independent work
- Strong time management skills and ability to balance multiple files and priorities
- Ability to work outdoors to conduct field investigations in variable terrain and weather conditions
- Proficient with the use of Microsoft Office software suite including database management (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access), and experience working with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Standard First Aid and CPR
The Assistant Ecologist will work in-person at the Hamilton Conservation Authority’s main office at 838 Mineral Springs Road, Ancaster, Ontario. HCA offers alternative work arrangements as outlined in our Employee Handbook.
Working hours will be 8:30a.m. – 4:30p.m., totaling 37.5 hours per week, Monday through Friday, inclusive.
The successful candidate must meet the Province of Ontario’s definition of COVID-19 “fully vaccinated” or provide proof of a Human Rights Code exemption prior to commencement of their employment in accordance with HCA’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Work Term and Rate of Pay
This is a contract position with an anticipated starting date of May 1, 2023 and ending April 30, 2024. The rate of pay is $21.00 per hour.
As per the Employment Standards Act, you will be paid for Statutory Holidays. Contract employees are entitled to ‘contract’ benefits as defined in HCA’s personnel policy.
Vacation Pay will be paid out on each pay as per the Employment Standards Act.
Interested applicants are to send their cover letter and resume in PDF or MS Word format via email by Friday, March 31, 2023 at 4:00 pm to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please include job title in email subject line)
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.