Ticks & Lyme Disease
For full information about ticks and Lyme Disease in Hamilton, please visit the City of Hamilton Public Health Information Page.
The most common type of tick found in Hamilton is the American Dog tick. American Dog ticks cannot transmit Lyme disease. Ticks are bugs that sit on tall grass and bushes until they attach themselves to a person or animal passing by.
Lyme disease is an infection caused by bacteria. In Ontario, Lyme disease is carried by some black-legged ticks, also known as deer ticks.
Tick Bite Prevention
Here are some tips to avoid getting tick bites:
- Wear light-coloured clothing outdoors. It makes ticks easier to spot.
- Wear long pants and a long-sleeved shirt.
- Wear socks and close toe shoes.
- Tuck your pants into your socks.
- Use a tick repellent that contains DEET or lcaridin and follow the manufacturer's directions for application. Apply the repellent to your skin and outer clothing, but avoid your eyes and mouth, as well as cuts and scrapes.
- Check your pet for ticks.
- Avoid areas known to be infested with ticks when possible