The Hamilton Conservation Authority (HCA) currently has the following summer employment opportunity:
Terrestrial Resources Technician: Summer Student Position
This is a summer position in HCA’s Watershed Planning and Engineering Department. Responsibilities include assistance with a variety of ecological surveys and monitoring programs in the HCA watershed as part of the HCA Terrestrial Resources Monitoring Program and property Master Plan work. This will include conducting biological inventories of vegetation communities, flora and fauna in natural areas in Hamilton. The work is conducted mostly off-trail and in a wide variety of field conditions. This position will also assist with reporting, entering field data and data management. This position reports to the HCA Terrestrial Ecologist.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct vegetation surveys within Ecological Monitoring and Assessment Network (EMAN) Plots including flora identification and tree health
- Assist with vegetation surveys, following the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources' Ecological Land Classification (ELC) protocols. This will be completed under the guidance of qualified field staff
- Assist with Breeding Bird Surveys and Amphibian call surveys
- Site orientation using aerial photos and GPS unit
- Assist with in-office identification of flora
- Accurate record keeping of data
- Assist with entering data, data management and report writing
- Other duties as assigned
- Enrolled in University or College with focus in Biology/Ecology-related studies
- Good flora and fauna identification skills
- Ability to work in inclement conditions (bugs, heat, rain), and field work experience is an asset
- Working experience with field inventory protocols, particularly Ecological Land Classification and/or Ecological Monitoring and Assessment Network Protocols, is an asset
- Able to work as a team member
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and current first aid/CPR certification
- Transportation to HCA office
Please note that this summer position is in part funded by Service Canada’s “Canada Summer Jobs” program. Successful candidates must therefore be eligible for Service Canada’s “Canada Summer Jobs” program (aged 15 to 30 years who are full-time students intending to return to their studies in the next school year)
The Terrestrial Resources Technician (Summer Student Position) will be based at the Hamilton Conservation Authority’s main office in Ancaster, Ontario; however, the majority of time will be spent in the field on HCA-owned lands and other properties. Working hours will total 37.5 per week, Monday through Friday inclusive, with the additional occasional requirement of evening meetings and work on weekends.
WORK TERM AND RATE OF PAY:
This is a 14 week casual student position with an anticipated starting date of Monday May 15, 2017. The rate of pay level is $12.00 per hour.
Please note; the hiring of this position will be subject to funding approval through the Canada Summer Jobs Program
If you are interested, please send your cover letter and resume in PDF or MS Word format via email by 4pm March 31th, 2017 to:
Lesley McDonell, Terrestrial Ecologist
Hamilton Conservation Authority
838 Mineral Springs Road, P.O. Box 81067
Ancaster, Ontario L9G 4X1
firstname.lastname@example.org (Please include job title in email subject line)
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.