- What should students wear?
Dress for the weather, all programs run rain, snow and shine. Raincoats and boots available for elementary and secondary school students.
- What about lunch?
All students, teachers and volunteers should bring an environmentally friendly, litter less lunch if possible. Snack Bar available at Dundas Valley for light snacks.
- Is there a sheltered eating area?
Outdoor picnic pavilion and indoor eating facilities available. Free with booking.
- How many volunteers should accompany each class?
*Primary/Junior: We recommended an adult/student ratio of 1 adult / 5 students. *School Boards recommend: 1 adult / 10 students.
Intermediate/Senior: School Boards recommend 1 adult / 15 students
- How large should the group be?
Dundas Valley Conservation Area: Two classes; Maximum group size 60* students.
Christie Lake Conservation Area: One class; Maximum class size is 30 students.
*A charge applies for each additional student over the class maximum.
- What is the teacher responsible for?
Teachers are responsible to:
- Get all necessary trip permissions prior to their trip
- Complete and send in HCA Booking Request Form
- Book their own transportation
- Arrange for volunteers
- Ensure all program participants are suitably dressed for an outdoor program
- What are the HCA Education Staff responsible for?
HCA Education Staff are responsible for:
- Sending out Trip Confirmation Letter prior to the trip
- Teaching the outdoor program with the assistance of the classroom teacher.
- Providing a safe outdoor learning experience
- All program equipment and first aid
- What information does the teacher require before making a booking?
Teachers will need to know the following before making a booking:
- Number of students
- Program Choice
- Special needs requirements
- What is the billing / invoice procedure?
Programs payable in advance or on the day of the trip.
- What if I need to cancel the trip?
Cancellations must be made at least 3 weeks in advance of the scheduled trip or a $150 Cancellation Fee applies. A $25 Administration Fee applies for re-scheduling of booked dates.
Fees, Booking & Contact Information
All schools must call to pre-register in advance of their trip.
- All programs are two hours in length.
- Cost: $200/ class / program.
- Maximum 30 students per class.
- Cancellation Fee: $150 if cancelled less than 15 office days from original date
- Two-hour program plus 2 hour self-guided* program.
- Teachers are provided with age appropriate scavenger hunt, clipboards, pencils and map.
- Cost: $8.00 per student.
- Maximum 30 students per class
- Fee includes one instructed program of your choice, park entry, use of facilities, and equipment.
- Teachers are responsible for their own program & equipment
- Must call to pre-register in advance of trip.
- Fee includes entry into park.
- Pavilion not included.
- Cost: $1.84 per student
- *Cancellation Fee: $20 per group
- Dundas Valley Conservation Area, 650 Governors Road, Dundas
- Christie Lake Outdoor Education Centre, 343 Cramer Road, Greensville
For more information or to register, please contact:
Beth Stormont, Education Program Manager
Hamilton Conservation Authority
Phone: (905) 627-1233 Fax: (905) 627-9722