The Hamilton Conservation Authority currently has the following casual employment opportunity:
Weekend Gate/Customer Service Part Time Positions
(4 positions available)
Spencer Gorge Conservation Area
HCA is currently seeking four Spencer Gorge gate staff to start employment immediately until October 27, up to 24 hours per week on weekends and public holidays.
Spencer Gorge Conservation Area is a destination for many; it is located on the Niagara Escapement in Greensville overlooking Dundas Ontario. .It is home to Webster Falls, Tew Falls, and the Dundas Peak. The area offers picturesque views, moderate hiking trails, and rare flora and fauna.
The Spencer Gorge gate staff are responsible for helping visitors to the area regarding the weekend shuttle operations, questions, and cash handling. This position will require small maintenance task, outdoor work (with shelter) in various weather conditions.
The Gate Staff positions will carry out duties assigned by the Park Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent, such as but not restricted to:
- Provide accurate information and assistance to park visitors in a courteous and hospitable manner
- Handle cash, and wristbands
- Assist in the identification of areas of concern regarding safety including staff and visitor
- Occasional maintenance duties including pick sticking, garbage removal, and general clean-up of facilities
- Work well as part of a team, and as an individual
- Customer Service Experience preferred, but not required
- A valid First Aid certificate is an asset
- Previous experience dealing with the public preferred but not required
- Working knowledge of safe working practices, or eagerness to learn
- Work weekends including holidays, in various weather conditions, and various terrain
- Must enjoy working outdoors in all types of weather, engage in sustained periods of walking
- Be creative, flexible and capable of solving problems on a regular basis relating to equipment, staffing, special events, etc.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing, demonstrating good interpersonal skills when speaking to the public or other park staff.
Job Classification & Work Term
CASUAL HOURLY with a start rate of $14.00 depending on experience. Position is based at Spencer Gorge at one of the gatehouse located at Tew Falls, Webster Falls, Dundas Peak and Christie Lake Shuttle Hub in Dundas. This position will be scheduled up to 8 hours a day, and work will be on the weekends and Public holidays. Position anticipated to start in August 2019 and run until October 27th, 2019, please note that working hours can be weather dependent.
Christie Lake is located at 1000 Hwy 5 West, Dundas Ontario and Spencer Gorge is located in Greensville, a short distance away. Please note there is no public transportation to the areas.
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with attention addressed to Cari Hobbs-Superintendent
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.