Security Staff Person - Fifty Point Conservation Area
Part time Casual position - 20 hours per week, night shift
The Security staff person is responsible for ensuring that every Conservation Area visitor can have a peaceful and enjoyable visit and ensures that park property and resources are protected. Position will also engage in general park maintenance duties.
Fifty Point Conservation Area Marina is approximately 85 hectares in size and is located in Stoney Creek (formerly Winona). The property located on the south shore of Lake Ontario straddles the town line between Hamilton and Grimsby with half of the conservation area containing the campground and beach being in Grimsby.
The area is comprised of a 340 slip full service marina, 74 site full service campground, picnic and day use/beach areas and a fishing pond. The park is also home to the Landing Restaurant, the Ontario Ball Hockey League and the Ingledale House, a historic residence.
The Security position shall carry out duties assigned by the Manager, such as but not restricted to:
- Provide accurate information and assistance to park visitors in a courteous and hospitable manner.
- Respond tactfully to complaints and requests for assistance from the public.
- Explain and promote conservation area rules and regulations (e.g. Dogs must be leashed).
- Issue verbal warnings and document violations and significant occurrences. Note that Security personnel are not designated under the Provincial Offences Act and therefore have no authority to issue Offence Notices or to conduct evictions.
- Engage in general park maintenance duties (e.g. litter pick up and washroom cleaning).
- Refer occurrences or violations of a serious or criminal nature to the Police.
- Check and secure buildings and facilities.
- Provide First Aid care to park visitors in distress and render assistance in emergency situations, including traffic and crowd control, and emergency maintenance.
- Assist the Supervisory staff as required.
- Report all accidents and unsafe situations.
- Any other duties as assigned to assist the team effort.
- A secondary school graduate with post-secondary education in a Law and Security program, Park Management program or previous experience in a similar or related field.
- Applicants must possess or be in active process of obtaining their private security license as mandated by the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.
- A valid class G driver's license is necessary.
- A valid First Aid certificate is an asset.
- Previous experience dealing with the public
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing, demonstrating good interpersonal skills when speaking to the public or other park staff.
- Work 10 hour night shifts that may include weekends and holidays, in various weather conditions, often alone.
- Meet and inform the public of pertinent information regarding the Conservation Authority, including policy, regulations, activities, and of the conservation area layout and facilities.
JOB CLASSIFICATION & WORK TERM:
CASUAL HOURLY with a start rate of $15.00 an hour. Position is based at Fifty Point Conservation Area in Winona. This position will be scheduled for 20 hours per week and includes a 10-hour night shift and an 8 hour afternoon shift on Saturday. There may be occasional scheduled additional hours and can include weekends and holidays. This position is anticipated to start immediately and will run until September with an opportunity to stay on into December with anticipated annual renewal based on performance.
Please apply by email, sending resume and cover letter to: Robert.Howe@conservationhamilton.ca
(please quote “Security Person” in subject line and send in MS Word or PDF format)
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.