The Hamilton Conservation Authority currently has the following casual employment opportunity:
Spencer Gorge/Webster Falls Conservation Area
HCA is currently seeking two part time Casual/Seasonal Marketing Ambassadors for Spencer Gorge/Webster Falls Conservation Area and other conservation areas as needed from April to November up to 24 hours maximum per week, on weekends and public holidays.
The ambassador is one of the most important points of contact for visitors to Spencer Gorge and strives to create an excellent customer service impression in their greeting and interaction. The ambassador will provide information about Spencer Gorge, Tew & Webster Falls, etiquette in the conservation area including natural hazard information, trails, annual membership passes, nearby conservation areas and other conservation areas/events at the Hamilton Conservation Authority in general. They will also provide some information about the history of the area and current conservation area operations.
Spencer Gorge/Webster Falls Conservation Area exhibits the physical features which have made the Niagara Escarpment one of Ontario's most spectacular geological formations. This significant natural area contains two beautiful waterfalls: Webster and Tew Falls. Webster is a magnificent tiered waterfall and Tew, which towers at 41 metres, is only a few metres shorter than Niagara Falls. Both offer spectacular vistas of the gorge. This beautiful natural area is extremely popular and well-attended, especially on weekends and holidays from April to October 31. The role of the Marketing Ambassador while working in this area is to educate visitors about what the area offers and the rules and regulations of the area, and also to give them information about the other areas owned or managed by the Hamilton Conservation Authority.
The Marketing Ambassador will also promote the HCA’s annual membership pass program at various HCA conservation areas and community events. They will sell passes and provide information to passholders about what the program and pass offer. The Marketing Ambassador will also be required to work in the conservation area and to promote and sell HCA membership passes at the conservation areas and at special events. The Marketing Ambassador also may be required to attend local events and HCA events for promotion and outreach and take on any other duties as assigned to contribute to the team effort.
- Greet and respond to conservation area visitor’s needs and provide direction/advice. Give excellent customer service.
- Be able to provide information about the Spencer Gorge/Webster Falls area, trails, etiquette and other nearby conservation areas.
- Provide information about the HCA’s annual membership pass program and rewards
- Outreach/community and HCA events
- Accept payment for annual membership pass sales, accurately recording customer information
- Count float, fill out daily cash reports, process cash, credit card and interac purchases.
- Set-up and maintain their information station/tents including maintaining a supply of brochures, passes, maps and other information.
- Carry out surveying with conservation area visitors
- Other marketing related duties as assigned.
- Ability to interact positively with management, co-workers, and range of client groups to maintain a positive and professional approach is essential
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- 1 – 2 years previous related experience in special events, business development, promotions or marketing an asset, but training will be provided
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Outgoing personality
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work as a team member and to work independently with limited direction when required
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 25 pounds
- Physical ability required to stand, sit or walk for long periods of time
- Enjoy working outdoors in a variety of weather and temperature conditions
- Valid Ontario driver’s license
This position will be based at Spencer Gorge/Webster Falls Conservation Area, located in Greensville and various other HCA conservation areas as needed, reporting to the Marketing Coordinator and Marketing & Events Manager. On site direction will also be provided by the conservation area Superintendent / Assistant Superintendent. There is no public transportation to the Spencer Gorge location and applicants must provide their own transportation. Most of the work will be from a tent, but some of the work may be outside in a variety of weather and temperature conditions. This position involves working weekends and holidays for up to 24 hours a week.
Rate of Pay:
This is a casual position. Hourly rate starts at $13.50 and up to $17.00, based on experience. It is anticipated that hours of work will be 24 hours a week. There is an opportunity to buy a discounted annual membership pass to the Hamilton Conservation Authority and to receive discounted admissions to other area attractions.
If you are interested, please send your cover letter and resume in PDF or MS Word format via email by 4 PM Friday, March 24, 2017 to:
Hamilton Conservation Authority
Attn: Randall Kovacs, Marketing & Events Assistant
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.