The Hamilton Conservation Authority currently has the following casual employment opportunity:
Maintenance Staff for Dundas Valley Conservation Area
(2 positions available)
HCA is currently seeking two Maintenance Staff for Dundas Valley Conservation Area to work September 1 – November 15, up to 40 hours per week including weekends and public holidays.
The Maintenance staff are responsible for maintaining and enhancing the facilities and grounds in a manner that allows for increases in the number of visitors to the Conservation Area. The position also plays an important role in customer service, providing information and services to visitors.
The Dundas Valley Conservation Area is approximately 3500 acres. The Conservation Area provides passive recreational activities for residents and visitors including a major multi-use trail system (hiking, horseback riding, biking, cross country skiing) while conserving the natural landscape, flora and fauna. Additional properties on the Hamilton Mountain are serviced through the Dundas Valley including Tiffany & Felker Falls, Eramosa Karst, Devil’s Punchbowl and additional trails/properties on the east mountain. The Dundas Valley has been designated as an Environmentally Significant Area and contains many species of Provincial, Regional, and local significance.
The Maintenance Staff positions will carry out duties assigned by the Park Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent, such as but not restricted to:
- Provide accurate information and assistance to park visitors in a courteous and hospitable manner
- Maintain and repair conservation area facilities and grounds and reporting safety concerns
- Grass cutting, garbage picking, and washroom maintenance
- Operate small power equipment including weed-whips, leaf blowers, pressure washers, zero-turn and push lawnmowers, pickup trucks and landscape trailers.
- Trail maintenance - background with tree-pruning and forestry is preferred.
- Valid driver's licence is necessary (G license minimum)
- Ability to safely tow landscape trailers
- A valid First Aid certificate is an asset
- Previous experience dealing with the public
- Working knowledge of safe working practices
- Work weekends including holidays, in various weather conditions, and various terrain
- Must enjoy working outdoors in all types of weather, engage in sustained periods of walking and be able to lift up to 60 pounds
- Be creative, flexible and capable of solving problems on a regular basis relating to equipment, staffing, special events, etc.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing, demonstrating good interpersonal skills when speaking to the public or other park staff.
Job Classification & Work Term
CASUAL HOURLY with a start rate of $14.00 depending on experience. Position is based out of the Dundas Valley Workshop in Ancaster. This position will be scheduled 8 hours per day, up to 40 hours per week and weekend shifts (including holiday weekends) will be required and regularly scheduled. Position anticipated to start in September 2019 and run until November 2019, and note that working hours can be weather dependent.
Please send your cover letter and resume by 4PM on Friday, August 30 to:
Superintendent – Dundas Valley and Hamilton Mountain Conservation Areas
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.