Hamilton Conservation Authority currently has the following full time employment opportunity:
The Fleet Mechanic is responsible to undertake and implement the preventive maintenance program, performing day to day maintenance on the equipment to maintain it in a safe and operable condition for a of fleet of approximately 500 pieces of motorized equipment. The fleet includes motor vehicles, farm tractors, grounds maintenance and construction equipment. The mechanic is one of two on staff working under the direction of the Fleet Coordinator & Trainer.
- Maintain and service a fleet of 500 equipment pieces as per the preventive maintenance schedule
- Perform maintenance and repair procedures as necessary which will involve diagnosing, testing and repairing electrical, hydraulic, fuel (gasoline, diesel or propane) and mechanical problems using shop manuals, scanners, the internet and specialized tools to isolate problems as efficiently as possible.
- Perform annual safety certifications on trucks, trailers, loaders and all lifting devices and conduct regular inspection of trucks and trailers in accordance with government standards. Resolve any problems and produce official safety documents.
- Fabricate and weld specialty projects
- Acquire estimates, purchasing and subcontracting work
- Maintain accurate and organized accounts including accounts payable
- Purchase ordering for parts, while following HCA purchasing policy
- Recommend replacement of equipment
- Assist in training equipment operators from across the HCA in the safe and efficient use of all equipment
- Assist in allocating and dispatching of all equipment
- Assist with mechanical stockroom facilities and inventory
- Maintain the machine shop of the Central Workshop
- Other related duties as assigned to assist the team effort at HCA
- Minimum High school diploma along with certificate of qualification in any of the following trades:
- 310S – Automotive Technician (preferred)
- 310T – Truck and Coach Technician
- 310J – Trailer Technician
- 421A – Heavy Equipment Technician
- “Z” Air Brake endorsement is required as well as a valid class “G” drivers license
- Knowledge of diesel engines a define asset
- Capable of welding and fabricating with both electric and acetylene welding equipment
- 5 years related experience in general overhaul and repair work is required
- Computer skills particularly with Microsoft Office
- Strong organizational skills
- Must be comfortable working independently and capable of effectively managing their time while also acting in a team capacity with the other Mechanic and other members of the team
- Good manual dexterity and ability to work to close tolerances
- Able to tolerate exposure to moderate amounts of noise, dust, grit, oil/grease, fumes, solvents, paints, hot/sharp metals and surface finishing products
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Able to efficiently use, operate and maintain tools and diagnostic equipment
- Able to organize, clean and maintain a safe work area
The position is based out of Millgrove works yard located at 594 5th Concession West Millgrove. Working hours are normally 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday with a half-hour unpaid lunch, 40 hours per week. Some overtime and flexibility to work hours on weekends and evenings will occasionally be required. The position reports to the Fleet Coordinator and Trainer.
Income Level & Benefits:
This is a full-time, full year position (52 weeks per year) which starts at $27.42 per hour (minimum start rate for the H6 pay range band where the position has been graded). HCA offers a comprehensive benefits package as outlined in the Conservation Authority’s Personnel Policy, including a Defined Contribution pension plan, group RRSP and other savings tools, as well as, extended health and dental benefits.
If you are interested, please send your cover letter and resume in PDF or MS Word format via email by 4pm Friday, September 28, 2018 to:
email@example.com (Please include job title in email subject line)
Although we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance.