The Hamilton Conservation Authority presently has a full time position available at Valens Lake Conservation Area
Conservation Area Technician - Valens Lake
The Conservation Area Technician is responsible for maintaining and enhancing the facilities and grounds in a manner that allows for increases in the number of visitors to the Conservation Area (CA). The position also plays an important role in customer service and administration, providing information and services to visitors and provides a level of supervision to the conservation area during evenings and weekends, handling all CA area issues as they arise in the absence of the Superintendent/Manager and Assistant Superintendent. The Valens Lake position also assists Fifty Point Conservation Area two times a year to help with launching and docking of boats and the Capital Projects Construction crew at Millgrove as required due to business needs.
Valens Lake attracts thousands of visitors to their picnic areas, sand beach and natural areas for all season activities (swimming, camping, hiking, fishing, cross country skiing etc.). Valens Lake is home to 225 camp sites and provides opportunities for winter camping, ice fishing and hosts fishing derbies and operates a dam.
- Maintaining & repairing conservation area facilities and grounds and reporting safety concerns including:
- Grass cutting & trail maintenance and direct casual maintenance staff on the day to day CA area maintenance.
- Safely operate all equipment and identify maintenance issues
- Identify, report and eliminate hazards if possible relating to trees, roadways and swimming areas
- Carry out various security duties at the park and making sure park patrons abide by HCA Rules and Regulations as directed by the Conservation Area Superintendent including:
- Lead security staff in day to day tasks and also undertake security as required which could be on a day to day basis
- Assess and handle any issues that arise in the evenings
- Deal with potentially impaired and upset customers, defuse and calm any problem, potentially evicting problem visitors or campers
- Work with other enforcement agencies as needed such as Hamilton Police Service, Ontario provincial police, Ministry of Natural Resources etc.
- Complete written reports as directed
- Assist with store operations and gatehouse responsibilities in the absence of the Conservation Area Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent including:
- Assist in booking and reserving of pavilions and campsites for customers on the phone or in person as needed
- Greet customers while entering Valens Lake
- Take cash deposits to bank as required
- Assist with maintaining store inventory as required
- Open safe for employee's access to their float as required
- Develop working knowledge and operator ability in gatehouse duties with CAMIS or cash register operations
- Water Testing and drinking water maintenance as directed by the Conservation Area Superintendent including:
- Test and record results for lake water as well as drinking water to ensure that it is safe for consumers
- Assist with the operation and maintenance of small drinking water system
- Obtain small drinking water certification
- Assist with training the casual staff in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, HCA policies and Safe Working Procedures including:
- Complete training and keep up to date on all policies
- Direct and correct staff on policies, including recommending discipline when policies are not followed
- Work according to policies at all times to lead by example
- Complete safety audits on casual staff as directed
- Operate a variety of grounds maintenance equipment including farm tractors, loaders, mowers, chainsaws, trucks and other equipment and record keeping for that equipment including:
- Operate all equipment in a safe manner according to HCA policies
- Report maintenance and other issues to appropriate personnel
- Maintain records for equipment including circle checks and gas usage
- In addition, Fifty Point operates boat trailers, travel life, jib cranes (masts)
- Other duties as assigned to assist the team effort at HCA, at Valens Lake and in any of our other conservation areas, examples of these are:
- Assist Fifty Point CA twice a year to help launching and docking of boats
- Assist Capital Projects Construction crew at Millgrove as required due to business needs
- Post-secondary education is required in the form of a college diploma or university degree
- An ability and willingness to obtain certification in first aid/CPR, small drinking water systems, security and other credentials as required and possession of any of these qualifications is a definite asset and some of these credentials may be required within the first year of employment
- Valid driver’s license (G license minimum)
- Sufficient experience is required to show a mechanical aptitude to operate various pieces of equipment
- Must enjoy working outdoors in all types of weather, engage in sustained periods of walking and be able to lift up to 60 pounds
- An ability to lead seasonal workers
- Working knowledge of safe working practices
- Good communication skills and a proven history of good record-keeping skills.
- Be creative, flexible and capable of solving problems on a regular basis relating to equipment, staffing, special events etc.
- Computer skills including a good working knowledge of the park booking system, CAMIS, and Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel and Outlook)
Leadership Skills Development
The development of supervisory and leadership skills are an expectation of the HCA management team in all levels towards:
- Communicating regularly and effectively within and across teams
- Encouraging inclusive participation
- Considering the thoughts and expectations of others
- Supporting and mentoring staff to optimize talent
- Championing a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Delivering positive outcomes
- Working in a planned and managed way
- Having a positive attitude and being a positive influence to staff
- Actively attending relevant Conservation Advisory Board and Board of Director meetings to obtain corporate perspective
- Ensuring a safe working environment and facilities for staff and visitors
- Working knowledge of HCA Strategic Plan to guide conservation area operations and to promote the vision, mission and objectives with staff and visitors
Work Location and Hours of Work
Valens Lake C.A., 1691 Regional Road 97, Cambridge,ON. Additionally, the work location may change to any of HCA’s conservation areas or main office through the year depending on business needs to assist on either a short or longer term basis or at special events. Work hours are 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, Monday through Sunday. Regular shifts on weekends and holidays during the busy summer season will be a regular and expected aspect of the position. This position could potentially have a seasonal layoff due to business constraints.
This is a full-time, full year position with a 2018 wage scale of H3 which starts at $22.06 per hour.
Benefits: This position is eligible for the fringe benefits as outlined in the Conservation Authority’s Personnel Policy as it pertains to a full-time position.
Interested applicants should mail or email their resume and covering letter, by 4 pm on Monday, March 26, 2018, to:
Hamilton Conservation Authority
Attention: Human Resources
PO Box 81067
838 Mineral Springs Road
Ancaster, ON L9G 4x1
Email: email@example.com (please quote Conservation Area Technician in subject line and send in MS Word or PDF format)
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process; applicants are asked to inform Human Resources for any disability required accommodations in advance